Lepton Primitive Methodist Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Now known as Lepton Methodist Church.
Lepton was a preaching centre in the Barnsley Primitive Methodist Circuit in 1821.
A chapel was built in Wakefield Road in 1835 (?) and a new chapel was built a little further west along Wakefield Road in 1937 and was further extended between 1977-1978.
By 1992 the congregation had ceased to use the chapel and used the Scout Hut for Services from 1992-1994.
Between 1993-1994 a new chapel was built off Highgate Lane and the old chapel was used as building premises.
Lepton Methodist Church is still in existence in 2009.
Records relating to this church can be found at the West Yorkshire Archive Service: Kirklees office under the reference numbers KC295/61, KC307/6, KC900, KC900.2, KC900.3.