Longwood Wesleyan Reform Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Was established by Wesleyan Reformers who seceded from Longwood Wesleyan Methodist Church in 1852. The congregation used Longwood Baptist meeting house for the opening service of the church in 1852 and thereafter used a room in William Shaw's cottage at Snowlea for worship for some years. From 1858 they used the Mechanics hall in Longwood Gate.
In 1860 a Sunday School was established.
In 1862 the congregation joined the United Methodist Free Churches.
A chapel was built in Parkwood Road at Clough Bottom in 1868-1869, opening in 1869.
The chapel was enlarged in 1897.
The church is still in existence in 2009 and is known as Parkwood Methodist Church. Records relating to this church can be found at WYAS: Kirklees under the reference numbers NM/LP, WYJ1175.