Meltham Methodist Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Previously known as Meltham Wesleyan Methodist Church.
Methodist services were being held at James William Mellor's cottage at Bower Hill in 1795 and a Society was established in 1797.
Meetings continued to be held in the cottage at Bower Hill and also in a cottage in Shady Row at Meltham Mills for a number of years. A cottage in Brighouse Fold was also used from 1815.
A chapel was built in Millmoor Road in 1819 and a Sunday School was built in Sefton Lane in 1850-1852.
Between 1884-1886 a new chapel was built next door to the old one on the site of the old Kitten Inn.
The old chapel was used as the Assembly Rooms from 1886.
In 1975 the old chapel and Sunday School were destroyed and services were held at the Assembly Rooms between 1975-1977. During this time a new chapel was built on the site of the demolished one and the Assembly Rooms were just used as a Sunday School from 1977.
The church is still in existence in 2009 http://www.melthammethodist.org.uk/
Records relating to this church can be found at WYAS: Kirklees under the reference number WYK346.