Netherton Methodist Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Previously known as Netherton Wesleyan Methodist Church.
Class meetings held in Netherton from 1767.
Societies established at Netherton and at South Crosland by 1797, using Joseph Beaumont’s house at Road Side and Joseph Taylor’s house at Hill Top (both in Netherton) and George Roberts’s house in South Crosland for meetings.
All the members joined the Methodist New Connexion during 1797-99; they then held services at a cottage in South Crosland for some years but appear to have eventually rejoined the Wesleyans.
Undenominational school at Jumble built jointly by Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyan Methodists 1822; Wesleyans used it for Sunday evening services from 1822; members went to Honley Wesleyan Methodist Church for other services.
Used a room called the “Long Baulk” in Netherton Fold for services from 1835 or 1844.
Sunday School established c.1848.
Used Oddfellows Hall for Sunday Services from 1860; “Long Baulk” continued to be used for Sunday School and week night services.
Chapel built in Chapel Street 1866, opened 1867.
Old chapel demolished and new chapel built on same site 1986.
Still in existence 2009.