Newsome South Methodist Church

From Off the Record
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a backup copy of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. Editing and account creation are disabled.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.

Formerly known as Berry Brow Wesleyan Methodist Church.

A Society was in existence by 1797, though by 1799 it had stopped meeting; this was probably due to the divisions caused by the New Connexion breaking away from the Wesleyans in the Huddersfield area in 1797.

Wesleyan local preachers held open-air services at Deadmanstone from 1812; they often preached from a rock amongst the crags there.

Class meetings were held at Armitage Bridge, Newsome and Taylor Hill from 1816. In 1824 a chapel was built at Deadmanstone and was called the Rock Chapel. A Sunday School was established in 1824.

In 1892-93 a new chapel was built in Birch Road and the Rock Chapel closed in 1893. Between 1979-1980 this chapel merged with Primrose Hill and Newsome Towngate Methodist Churches to form Newsome South Methodist Church using premises in Birch Road. The Rock Chapel was demolished in 1980.

In 1980-1981 the Sunday School was rebuilt to form a church, hall and meeting rooms. It is still in existence in 2009.