Paddock United Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Previously known as Paddock Wesleyan Methodist Church and later Paddock Wesley Methodist Church.
Society in existence 1795.
Occasional services held in a cottage called Water House in Church Street by Edward Brooke of Honley (also known as "Squire Brooke"), a local preacher in the Huddersfield district from 1825 to his death in 1871.
Water House last used for services 1873.
Chapel built on north side of Church Street to east of railway bridge 1872-73.
Sunday School built on behind chapel 1890-91.
Part of chapel ceiling collapsed 1913.
Chapel rebuilt on same site 1914-15.
Congregation joined with Paddock Congregational Church 1968 to form a United Church, using Methodist Church's premises.
Congregation found their premises too large to maintain 2002 and moved to share the Paddock Quaker meeting house in Church Street.
Still in existence as a united Methodist and United Reformed church 2002.
N.B. Congregation from Paddock All Saints (Church of England) used the same premises from c.1984 until 2002 though they did not become part of the United Church; the building was therefore known as Paddock Shared Church.