Salendine Nook Baptist Church

From Off the Record
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a backup copy of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. Editing and account creation are disabled.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.

The Mortons, a family said to be of Scottish descent were settled at Salendine Nook in the late 1600s; the house of Michael Morton of Quarmby was licensed for dissenting worship (Presbyterian) 1689.

William Mitchel had a registered meeting place in his preaching circuit at Lindley 1691 (Mitchel was an evangelist who worked with various Nonconformist sects; he was particularly associated with the Rossendale 'church', a group of Nonconformist preaching circuits which eventually became baptist).

A house at Quarmby belonging to John Morton licensed for dissenting worship (possibly Baptist) was used in 1713.

William Harrison records hearing a Baptist sermon preached in a barn at 'Linlow Moor' near Huddersfield in 1723.

Henry Clayton of Halifax, a member of the Baptist Church at Rodhill End and Stoneslack near Todmorden began to preach regularly at Salendine Nook from 1731 using various houses. The basis of the meetings were members of Rodhill End and Stoneslack Church who lived in the Huddersfield area.

A meeting house was built on land belonging to Joseph Morton 1738-1739. This was at what later became the corner of New Hey Road, Launds Road and Potovens Road (later called Moor Hill Road).

It became a separate congregation in 1743.

In 1803 the chapel was demolished and a new chapel was built on the same site.

About 1820 a Sunday School was established using an upstairs room in the minister's house.

In 1843 the chapel was rebuilt with a Sunday School room.

In 1866 a Sunday School was built on the other side of Laund Road.

The chapel was enlarged in 1894 and the Sunday School was enlarged between 1929-1930.

The church is still in existence in 2009