Slaithwaite Centenary Wesleyan Methodist Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Society existed 1797, using cottages for meetings.
Used a room over Thomas Lees' workshop in Kitchen Fold (also known as Scar Hall) for worship from 1817; this room was known as the "Long Baulk"; also met for prayer meetings at Neddy Haigh's house.
Sunday School established 1819, using the "Long Baulk".
Chapel built in Manchester Road 1839; members helped with digging work; received assistance from Wesleyan Centenary Fund so known as Centenary Chapel.
Sunday School made increasing use of chapel building for services and classes from 1840s; by 1860s "Long Baulk" only used for teachers' meetings and entertainments.
Chapel enlarged 1865.
Sunday School used "Long Baulk" again for classes 1865-71.
Sunday School built next door to chapel 1871.
Closed 1973; congregation joined Carr Lane Methodist Church.