Thornhill Street United Methodist Free Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Later known as Thorncliffe Street United Methodist Free Church; also known as Lindley Wesleyan Reform Church.
Established by Wesleyan Reformers who left Lindley Wesleyan Methodist Church in 1851. The congregation used a barn at Fern Lea off West Street for meetings and as a Sunday School. They then bought two cottages in Lidget Street and converted them into a small chapel and Sunday School in 1853-1854.
Around 1857 they became part of the United Free Methodist Church.
Eventually a chapel was built in Thornhill Street (later called Thorncliffe Street)in 1875-1876.
The church amalgamated with Lindley Wesley and Lindley Zion churches to form Lindley Methodist Church in 1960 and used the premises in East Street for the church.
The chapel in Thorncliffe Street then closed.