Huddersfield New North Road Baptist Church

From Off the Record
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a backup copy of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. Editing and account creation are disabled.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.

A congregation was established in 1846 with members from Salendine Nook, Lockwood and Manchester using a room at Spring Street Infants School.

In 1847 they moved to a room in Kings Street and in 1849 a Sunday School was established.

In 1850 the congregation split after a dispute and some members then held separate meetings in a room in Princess Street.

The congregation in King Street bought the Unitarian Chapel in Bath Street in 1853-1854 and opened it as their chapel in 1855.

A new chapel was built in New North Road 1875-1876 with the chapel building in Bath Street being used as a Sunday School until 1882 when a new Sunday School was built behind the chapel.

In 1971 the chapel was demolished to make way for the Ring Road and a new one was built in New North Parade in 1972-1973.

In 2005 it amalgamated with Birkby Baptist Church.

NB The chapel in Bath Street became commercial premises after being sold c1882 and is still in existence as premises of Ramsay Clay, painting contractor (2009).