Kew Hill Wesleyan Methodist Church, Fixby

From Off the Record
Revision as of 10:36, 25 May 2011 by >Fhumphreys
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a backup copy of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. Editing and account creation are disabled.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.

The chapel was built in Kew Hill by Primitive Methodists in 1868 with the Sunday School using a room under the chapel.

By 1890, the Primitive Methodists had ceased to use the chapel.

The Wesleyan Methodist Society had been established at some date before 1890 using cottages for meetings and they bought the chapel and re-opened it in 1890.

By 1891 a Sunday School had been established.

The church closed between 1967-1970 and the congregation joined Lindley Methodist Church.

In 1970 the building was sold and demolished to make way for the M62.

NB. Kew Hill held open-air services on Lindley Moor in the 1890s and the tradition of open-air Sunday School anniversary services continued to c1939.

Records relating to this church can be found at West Yorkshire Archive Service: Kirklees under the reference number NM/HSC, KC808/2/5.