Oulton Hall Hospital

From Off the Record
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a backup copy of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. Editing and account creation are disabled.

Oulton Hall in Oulton was built in 1851 and was originally a stately home.In World War 1 the house was used as a hospital and convalescence home for wounded soldiers and in 1925 the Hall and grounds were sold to the county council who used it as a mental hospital until 1971.It is now a hotel with extensive grounds, gardens and golf course.

The hospital was established under the Mental Deficiency Act 1913. Smaller hospitals associated with Oulton Hall were Hatfield Hall, Cardigan and Stoneville. Stoneville hospital later became a hostel for patients awaiting discharge into the community. All of these hospitals were superceded by Fieldhead Hospital which opened in 1972.

Records for Oulton Hall Hospital and the associated hospitals (ref: C223)include staff registers and patient records (also see ref: C854)from c. 1935 - c. 1975. For access to patient case files please contact WYAS Wakefield, access restrictions may apply.