Pontefract General Infirmary

From Off the Record
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a backup copy of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. Editing and account creation are disabled.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.

Pontefract General Infirmary (ref: C199) was created as a charitable dispensary for out-patients in Baxtergate in 1812. In 1888 a new dispensary was built in Southgate but it did not become an infirmary until 1925. In 1945 there were 70 in-patient beds. It was a voluntary hospital until 1948.

In 1948 the hospital came under the control of Pontefract and Castleford hospital management committee and the bed capacity increased. In 1954 there were 89 beds and in 1968 293 beds.

Records include minute books, financial records, staff registers 1931-1968, patient registers 1893-1972, including civilian war and service patients 1939-1947. Some records may be subject to access restrictions please contact WYAS Wakefield for more information.