St. John's Hospital, Halifax

From Off the Record
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a backup copy of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. Editing and account creation are disabled.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.

The hospital (ref: C333) was originally the Halifax Union Workhouse in Gibbet Street built in 1837-1838, see Halifax Union Workhouse .

In 1948 it became St. John's and closed in 1970. It was replaced by a new hospital built on the site of the former isolation hospital at Northowram.

Some patient registers survive, also some administrative and financial records. Access to some records may be restricted.